[parisc-linux] Second Draft of the help for the kernel options

Grant Grundler grundler@puffin.external.hp.com
Sun, 07 Oct 2001 21:48:47 -0600

Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> 32-bit PDC
> CONFIG_PDC_NARROW
>   Turning this option on enables support for 32-bit firmware when running
>   a 64-bit kernel.  You should select this option if you have a machine
>   from the C160-J2240 era.

s/machine/workstation/
I'm pretty sure all 64-bit capable servers properly handle
PDC calls in wide mode. PAT PDC supports a few calls in
narrow mode (for boot loader) but the rest must be in wide mode.

Note that IODC generally requires narrow mode.
(Superdome IODC is different - but I don't recall exactly how).

BTW, I prefer Matthew's rewrite over the Thomas' proposal.
No offense intended thomas - thanks for submitting the original.

grant