[parisc-linux] woody install on 720/50

Albert Strasheim fullung@ilink.nis.za
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 01:27:23 +0200

--V0207lvV8h4k8FAm

Hello,

On Tue, 02 Oct 2001, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 05:54:25PM +0200, Albert Strasheim wrote:
> > After applying Jurij's latest patch, and creating a new Debian bootdisk
> > lifimage with it, I booted it up and tried the Debian install again.
>=20
> Hmm, is that easy to do? I need to build a new kernel from the CVS
> sources for my D350, and it would be easiest to build a new CD
> to boot from rather than to boot the new kernel over the network.

I've think I've tried to convey the following command to you in about 3
different threads across 2 mailing lists :-)

Get palo-latest.tar.gz (about 62 KB) from puffin.external.hp.com,
compile that, cross-compile your kernel and then run the following:

(linux/ contains the kernel and palo/ contains the bootloader)

palo/palo/palo -f /dev/null -k linux/vmlinux -r root.bin -s lifimage \
  -b palo/iplboot -c "0/linux HOME=3D/ root=3D/dev/ram initrd=3D0/ramdisk"

What this does is the following:

palo takes the kernel (vmlinux (with Jurij's patches in my case)), the
latest Debian rootdisk (root.bin), puts them together and creates a
lifimage for you to boot via rbootd or tftpd (depending on your model).

Tada!

Have fun,

Albert

--V0207lvV8h4k8FAm