[parisc-linux] State of official Linux kernel

Randolph Chung Randolph Chung <randolph@tausq.org>
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 12:03:56 -0800

> I'm just curious what the state of the PA-RISC support of the
> official linux kernel is (2.4.14 from kernel.org).

2.4.14 kernel images are now available from the Debian archive. It is
also available from parisc-linux cvs.

I'm not sure what's the status of merging into the main tree though.

> What about gcc, gdb, glibc and binutils ? How long do you think does it
> take to get the current fixes/patches into a release ?

We work with folks that are "upstream" for these tools to incorporate
parisc specific changes into the mainline sources. Other than gdb I
believe we have very little debian/parisc specific patches.

> AFAIK RedHat/Cygnus supports/maintains gcc, gdb, glibc and binutils.
> Are there (usually) any problems to get the patches/fixes (of gcc, gdb,
> ...) into a official release ? How good is the cooperation with the main
> developers of these tools/libraries ? RedHat doesn't seem to be interested
> in an Linux/PA-RISC port and debian is something like a competitor ...

Without guessing about any political issues, I'd say that upstream has
been very cooperative in general in accepting parisc-linux port changes.
I'm not sure why you think this is/will be otherwise.

randolph
--
   @..@                                         http://www.TauSq.org/
  (----)