[parisc-linux] Booting C200

Michael Wood mwood@its.uct.ac.za
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 15:05:54 +0200

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 02:22:50PM +0000, Richard Hirst wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 07:16:36AM -0500, Herb Radford wrote:
> > OK, I found some stuff in the archive on the "Chassis Codes"
> > and set up an old laptop as a terminal, disconnected the
> > keyboard (and mouse) and booted.  Now I tried this with the
> > disk out of my 712/60 and the C200 is not hung.  It proceeds
> > through the boot process and then hangs on starting cron.
>
> Hmm, the next thing would be the login prompt.  Has it really
> hung, or is the inittab from your 712/60 set up to only issue
> a getty on the graphical console?

Yes, I had this sort of problem.  The D270 I have access to only
has a serial console.  The debian installation program kept
bombing out at the end, so I eventually managed to get
something working using debootstrap manually.  Then it seemed to
hang after starting crond although it worked fine with
init=/bin/bash.  I realised it was starting gettys on
/dev/tty[1-6] and not on /dev/ttyS0, so I commented out the
virtual console lines in /etc/inittab and uncommented the
/dev/ttyS0 one and things are working much better :)

I did see some nasty fs corruption (ext2) though, but I am not
sure if this is caused by a bad disk or bad termination etc. or
buggy drivers...  I'll post again if I narrow it down more.

--
Michael Wood <mwood@its.uct.ac.za>