[parisc-linux] Re: List of packages for hppa ISO release version 2

herrold herrold@owlriver.com
Wed, 30 May 2001 13:13:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 30 May 2001, Grant Grundler wrote:

> "Pete" wrote:
> > Can I ask the reason why this is being taken out?
>
> ssh is subject to US export restrictions. We can't export
> a CD image with it either.
> Debian has it in "non-us" section for the same reason - so it can be
> built/distributed "off-shore". Stupid, but that's the law here, now.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the US ITAR regulations were
relaxed over a year ago for non-commercial distribution after a
single notification.  The relevant RSA patent is expired for six
months.  Please contact me offlist if any questions -- the OpenSSH
and OpenSSL packages seem like no-brainers ...

(I am a lawyer, although not _your_ lawyer, and 'read and write
this "code" proficiently)

-- Russ