[parisc-linux] ELFOSABI_LINUX

Jes Sorensen jes@sunsite.dk
12 May 2001 18:01:21 +0200

>>>>> "Matthew" == Matthew Wilcox <willy@ldl.fc.hp.com> writes:

Matthew>  * Change binutils to produce binaries without ELFOSABI_LINUX
Matthew> set.  This implies rebuilding every debian package we've
Matthew> built so far -- over 1100 source packages.  This means we'd
Matthew> miss our deadline of shipping at the end of May.

Matthew> One subversive developer suggested a third alternative --
Matthew> that we think up & implement an extension to the ABI so we
Matthew> have to use ELFOSABI_LINUX :-)

The easy solution is to change binutils, keep the double check for
ELFOSABI_LINUX and ELFOSABI_SYSV in the hppa glibc for a while and
nuke it when everybody has updated. The important bit is to not put a
toolchain out there that produces the wrong binaries.

I've used similar tricks on the ia64 in the past.

Jes