[parisc-linux] Problems with debian instalation

Matt Taggart taggart@carmen.fc.hp.com
Thu, 10 May 2001 11:36:58 -0600

Charlie Navarro writes...

> I installed my 712/60 from palinux-0.6-32STI.iso and all OK. I had some
> poblems with the keyboard (some sequence of key in vi, in some case fell down
> the system)

This is a known problem with STI console, but no bug was filed in the BTS. So
I just filed one. IIRC, setting TERM to vt100 helps.

> I made a "apt-get dselect-upgrade" with out problems, with the original
> sources.list that it came in the iso.
> Now I have the dependences problems to install gcc. cpp depends of cpp-3.0
> but it is not installable. xbase-clients depends of cpp.

The gcc package is just a pseudopackage that depends on the right version gcc
for the architecture, in this case gcc-3.0. Since gcc-3.0 is not yet in the
archive it can't find the dependency. As Richard pointed out, use the debs on
puffin.external.hp.com for now. I am working on getting those integrated and
in the Debian archive.

> Ok, I want to run X, but I can not. I want to compile X but I don't have the
> gcc.

XFree86 is in the Debian archive but you can't run a local Xserver yet. You
can run apps remotely and even use Xnest. Does this answer your question?

--
Matt Taggart        Linux Development Lab
taggart@fc.hp.com   HP Linux Systems Operation