[parisc-linux] Problem with FS of ESIEE on 720 !

Christoph Plattner christoph.plattner@alcatel.at
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 13:04:04 +0100

Topic /dev/console :

You have to do nothing for "automatic" !!
The kernel manage this. The device `/dev/console' has
the major=5 minor=1. This device driver registered to this
major uses the system console. The system console driver
itself is internal a wrapper to the configured device
driver, defined via "console=ttyS0" the kernel command line
parameter. In this case (ttyS0) the driver on major=5
(/dev/console) intern calls the console i/o functions
(an own structure in the kernel) which are pointing to the
serial driver. In an other case, the pointer points to a
STI console interface. Also printk uses the pointer to
the write operation of the defined console !!

This console stuff was introduced in kernel 2.2
(2.1.xxx).

So the file system only should have the entry

crw-rw-rw-  root  root  5  1  xxxx xxxx /dev/console

Cheers
	Christop P.