[parisc-linux] Reasonable price for a 735/99

Wed, 14 Mar 2001 10:36:46 -0500 (EST)

> Could somebody tell me what would be a reasonable prize for the
> following box:
>
> HP 735-99 w 96 MB RAM
> HP A2091 graphics accelerator
> 2 x 1 GB Fast-SCSI disk drive
> SCSI CD-ROM, floppy drive, SCSI disk drive
> HP keyboard and mouse
> 10 MBit NIC w transceiver
> SCSI: SCSI-II Interface (5 Mbytes per Second) Fast-Wide SCSI-II
> Interface (20 Mbytes per second)
> HP-UX 10.20 installed
>
> Any caveats? What about the graphics? Can I use a standard SVGA monitor?

I have one.  It probably cost about $30,000 US new.  Depreciate factor
of 2 per year.  This yields about $60.  I wouldn't pay more than for
150 MHz PC.  Machine is reliable but parts are expensive.

The FW interface is differential and drives are somewhat more expensive.
I have had no problem with Seagate's.  I had some system stability problems
until recently with 10.20.  I have been religiously patching and finally
a few months ago some patch fixed the problem (not sure which one).
I thought the problem was with the scsi driver because I have quite a
few drives but this may only have been the symptom.  This of course is
not an issue if you want to run parisc-linux!

Dave