[parisc-linux] External SCSI Disk

Grant Grundler grundler@puffin.external.hp.com
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 17:02:28 -0600

Donald Scobbie wrote:
> I attached an external SCSI disk to my 712/80 which has the
> palinux-0.9 32 bit serial distribution installed on the internal
> disk:
>    Device Path              Device Type
>    -----------              -----------
>    scsi.6.0                 QUANTUM FIREBALL1050S
>    scsi.2.0                 SEAGATE ST32151N
>
> BOOT_ADMIN> boo

Try "bo scsi.2.0" instead?
Just using "boot" will default to whatever the primary path is.

> The code in drivers/scsi/sd.c assigns /dev/sda to the lowest SCSI
> id and works up the way. Fair enough. IIRC SCSI id's are prioritised
> 7->0 for narrow SCSI and 7->0, 15->8 for wide. Should device allocation
> reflect this pattern?

It could. Search the mail archives - I've complained about this before.

>  Surely it has to for hppa where the internal
> disk has id 6 preset?

It doesn't.

> Any suggestions?

Make sure your partition layout doesn't cross the 2GB boundary for
the /boot or 0xf0 partition. palo documentation has the best explanation
of the PDC limitations I know of.

In general, I'm guessing that the scsi.6.0 has palinux installed on it
and the scsi.2.0 disk isn't partitioned with a compatible format for
some reason.

grant

Grant Grundler
parisc-linux {PCI|IOMMU|SMP} hacker