[parisc-linux] Re: SCSI in arch/{m68k,parisc,sparc*}/config.in

David S. Miller davem@redhat.com
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 17:32:13 -0700 (PDT)

Keith Owens writes:
 > arch/{m68k,parisc,sparc*}/config.in have their own SCSI list instead of
 > using drivers/scsi/Config.in.  Cleaning up the SCSI config file is on
 > my 2.5 TODO list, can you tell me why these architectures have their
 > own list of SCSI devices?
 >
 > If it is because only some SCSI drivers work on these architectures, do
 > you really need to be this specific?

If I can forward every "How come I can compile ISA SCSI device X and
it doesn't work on my UltraSPARC" email to you, I'll more than happily
start including drivers/scsi/Config.in :-)

Jeff Garzik and I just did all the necessary dep_tristate'ing for
drivers/net/Config.in and at least in my tree I include in on sparc64.

Being able to do this on every platform is certainly a goal, and for
all the PCI drivers to be portable enough to work on every platform is
the next step.  I think Jeff and I can do it for the networking
drivers, but I have no idea who would go about working on this for
the scsi stuff.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com