[parisc-linux] PALO/kernel-build change proposal

Andrew Shugg andrew@neep.com.au
Sun, 17 Jun 2001 23:03:19 +0800

Grant Grundler said:
> Paul Bame wrote:
> > When self hosted, there's usually no need to run palo after every
> > kernel build since palo boots out of the file system by file name.
> > So I propose that the common self-hosted use model be to use simple
> > 'make' in the kernel tree [and make modules or whatever].  The
> > resulting 'vmlinux' file can then be copied to the desired location.
>
> On x86, "make install" will do all the right things to install the
> freshly built kernel but doesn't do a damn thing for kernel modules.
> Need to run "make modules" and "make modules_install" to really make
> sure eveything is in sync.

As a Debian user I discovered the wonders of Manoj's kernel-package
suite to build Debian packages of kernel source/headers/image/docs from
a single kernel tree.  Certainly much easier to install the resulting
kernel-image-*.deb package than fuss about with the various Makefile
targets.  I suppose it would be unfriendly though to ask that this
become the standard means of building and installing hppa-linux kernels?

=)

I see nothing wrong with Paul's suggestion but hope that kernel-package
is educated about the changes for the hppa architecture.  I've grown
fond of it (or too lazy to go back?) ...

Andrew.

--
Andrew Shugg <andrew@neep.com.au>                   http://www.neep.com.au/

"Just remember, Mr Fawlty, there's always someone worse off than yourself."
"Is there?  Well I'd like to meet him.  I could do with a good laugh."