[parisc-linux] XFree86, sti bmode/wmode merge

Thomas Bogendoerfer tsbogend@alpha.franken.de
Sun, 17 Jun 2001 15:58:07 +0200

Hi,

I've greped the mailinglist archive, and didn't find anything, that someone
tried the Xfree86 server on parisc. So I did it and to my great surprise
it worked out of the box with stifb (ok, I had to tweak XF86Config a little
bit). Right now the gecko (712/80) to my right display a more of less
ugly Xserver with two Xterms and vtwm as window manager. That's pretty
cool.

I've finished merging byte and word mode sti rom handling and will check that
in after the checkout is finished (pretty slow connection to pehc at the
moment). STIfb still works in word mode (the gecko mentioned above runs
the merged code) and I had a working fbcon on the C200 with a HCRX24
yesterday. But there are still problems to solve with the HCRX (colors
were wrong, right now it doesn't work anymore).

Question: I've found the cfb stuff for HP framebuffers in Xfree, but it
doesn't cover the Visualize-EG hardware. Any chance to get docs/code for
that beast ? I'd like to show a B180 with X on LinuxTag in Stuttgart :-)

Thomas.

--
Crap can work. Given enough thrust pigs will fly, but it's not necessary a
good idea.                                 [ Alexander Viro on linux-kernel ]