[parisc-linux] Re: Kernel faults on boot

Simeon Walker simeon@sbs.bangor.ac.uk
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 17:23:03 +0100

Richard Hirst wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 04:15:41PM +0100, Simeon Walker wrote:
> > Hi,
> >   I have just installed the from 0.9 ISO to a 712/80 (using the
> > sti kernel) and had the same problem. Modify the palo params and
> > going into run level 1 works. I can then run all the services that
> > would have started at run level 2, it's actually the getty's
> > started by init that cause the crash.
>
> Yes, it is fixed in our latest cvs source.

Great, I've got that.

> > I thought I'd try and compile my own kernel to see if that
> > had the same problem but have been unable to do so. First
> > I tried the apt-get'able kernel source and then I tried the
> > cvs version with the same problem. The error is:
> >    make: hppa-linux-gcc: Command not found
> > Is this because the kernel sources assume I'm cross compiling
> > whereas I'm actually trying to compile on the target machine
> > or am I missing some package? I've compiled kernels on
> > debian x86 machines so I know what's usually required.
>
> Yes, comes from arch/parisc/Makefile
>
> CROSS_COMPILE := hppa-linux-
>
> changing that to
>
> CROSS_COMPILE :=

Ahhhh!

> is one solution.  You do need to use our cvs kernel source at
> the moment, we don't have parisc kernel patches in the archive
> yet.
>
> Richard

I'm compiling the kernel now so I'll see how it goes. It
certainly compiles slowly on this 712/80...

Thanks,
Simeon

--
Simeon Walker,                      email: simeon@sbs.bangor.ac.uk
School of Biological Sciences,      phone: +44 (0)1248 383702