[parisc-linux] Re: problem installing on HP735

Richard Hirst rhirst@linuxcare.com
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:45:08 +0100

On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 03:35:07PM +0000, BOSCHINI@ICIL64.CILEA.IT wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I changed HW, still 735 Apollo, and finally succeeded in going through the
> first install. I got O.S. with no problem but had to do a
>
> debootstrap sid /target file:/instmnt/debian from shell, since installtion
> procedure seemed to hang (more than 1.5 hr).
> Then I made the system bootbale and rebooted....

Maybe you should have done 'configure base system' before reboot.

> boot starts but then I get a "can not create tty4" and then
>
> modprobe: modprobe can't locate module char-mayor-4
>
> for many times.
>
> Then
> init respawning too rapidly
>
> and finally everything hangs.
> Rebooted in single user. /etc/fstab empty.
> Inserted /, swap and proc , rebooted, but / is mounted in read-only...
> Still get
> INIT RESPAWNING TOO RAPIDLY....
>
> any help ?

There are two /etc/inittab files used in install, sounds like you
are still running the first one.

Reboot with init=/bin/sh
mount -o remount,rw /dev/???? /
cd /etc
mv inittab inittab.inst
mv inittab.real inittab
sync
mount -o remount,ro /dev/???? /

Power off/on, and try to boot again.  Might come up, might not.  If
it does, then "dpkg-reconfigure base-config" might let you run the
second half of the install.

The reason you had problems running the install properly is probably
because the 735 has a PCX-T cpu, which is known to have problems with
GLIBC 2.2.1.

Richard