[parisc-linux] PALO/kernel-build change proposal

Grant Grundler grundler@puffin.external.hp.com
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 15:22:10 -0600

Paul Bame wrote:
> When self hosted, there's usually no need to run palo after every
> kernel build since palo boots out of the file system by file name.
> So I propose that the common self-hosted use model be to use simple 'make'
> in the kernel tree [and make modules or whatever].  The resulting 'vmlinux'
> file can then be copied to the desired location.

On x86, "make install" will do all the right things to install the
freshly built kernel but doesn't do a damn thing for kernel modules.
Need to run "make modules" and "make modules_install" to really make
sure eveything is in sync.

> I propose that 'make palo' be changed to simply run 'palo -f ./palo.conf'
> after vmlinux is built.  This means palo would have to be in the $PATH
> and that the top-level linux source directory would contain a
> suitable palo.conf file.  I've been using this model for cross-compiling
> for several months and like it.  I would document how xc-ers can best
> compile and "install" palo as well as supply a palo.conf file with
> our typical configurations.
>
> What is 'make palo' today would be changed to 'make buildrunpalo'.  The
> longer name is more truthful and less convenient on purpose.

How about "make lifimage"?
That's the only reason I run "make palo" in the XC environment.
Having a XC-palo in the environment is no problem.
In the XC env, I don't expect "make install" to do the right thing (tm).

grant

Grant Grundler
parisc-linux {PCI|IOMMU|SMP} hacker
+1.408.447.7253