[parisc-linux] Apollo 735/99 hangs after booting from CDROM

Richard Hirst rhirst@linuxcare.com
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 15:42:29 +0100

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 09:05:56AM -0500, Michael S . Zick wrote:
> Hi Mike
> & Everyone
>
> Try this:
>
> Do a manual boot - so that you: boot xxxxxx IPL
>
> Using the command line editor built into IPLBOOT -
> Change the:: console=tty0 entry
> To: console=ttyB
> Proceed with boot.
>
> Expect: Boot should proceed normally, until -
> you get a message about "unable to open initial terminal"
>
> If such is the case, then your model 735 is affected by a
> problem reported for other models.
> Please post your results - the more model specfic
> information availabe for the people working the problem,
> the better.
>
> At this point, kernel should be running and responding to
> other points of access (such as over the network).

I don't see how this helps at all for people trying to install
from the ISOs.  True the kernel might continue to boot it you set
console=ttyB, but it is hardly going to respond to the network.
It hasn't been given an IP address, isn't running inetd, etc.

If you were to create a configured system somehow (on nfsroot
perhaps) you might be able to boot and access the system via
the network.

Richard