[parisc-linux] Install on a 715/75 (wont boot)

Richard Hirst rhirst@linuxcare.com
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 14:10:16 +0100

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 02:45:59AM -0400, Pedot, Wolfgang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just dug out a 715/75 at work (64MB RAM, 2x1GB HD). Now I´ve cleaned it and
> brought it to live I want to install Linux but the problem is neither 0.9 nor
> 0.9.1 (downloaded yesterday) boots. I connected an external SCSI-CDRom (Toshiba
> 6401) and the 715 detects it and I can tell it to boot from this drive but I get
> an IPL Checksum Error with 0.9 (tried with two CDs) and "Wrong IPL Magic" with
> 0.9.1. Both Images were downloaded and burned correctly as far as I can tell.
> Now since this is my first experience with a PARISC-Machine I´m a little bit
> helpless, any hints?

For 0.9.1 it sounds like you picked up one of the broken versions
of the ISO.  A new image was posted yesterday, so if you downloaded
before that, please try again.

0.9 didn't work on 715/75 anyway, but I would not have expected your
particular error.

I have never booted my 715/75 from CD; I've always booted it from
the network.  The README on the CD should explain (briefly) how to
do that.

Richard