[parisc-linux] linux-2.4.0

Matthew Wilcox matthew@wil.cx
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 03:04:40 +0000

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 05:57:14PM -0800, Grant Grundler wrote:
> Unless someone objects, My plan is to continue working on CONFIG_SMP
> until it boots on my A500. Then merge the 2.4.0 PCI stuff onto our
> tree. The problem is names of pci "generic" functions changed -test11
> or -test12 and what they do has been slightly changed. Certain things
> definitely break A500 support. I need to revisit both the generic and
> elroy code so it all works again.

i don't mind waiting.

> Which means the linus tree still won't build a parisc-kernel.
> He'll have missing symbol errors in the PCI subsystem for sure.
> But I guess we'll keep getting closer as time goes on.

right.  i don't anticipate getting all the changes we need into linus'
tree any time soon, possibly not until 2.5 opens.  i think 2.4.0 only
works on x86 & alpha.  i know it doesn't work on ia64 -- some journalists
tried to make a big deal out of this.  i see linus put ppc, sparc &
sparc64 patches into 2.4.1-pre, so I'm guessing 2.4.0 doesn't work on
those arches either.

just for giggles, i merged 2.4.1-pre10 into our tree.  no conflicts.