[parisc-linux] Initial setup of the `glibc' in the target rootfile system

Ulrich Drepper drepper@redhat.com
23 Feb 2001 22:26:58 -0800

"Rafael E. Herrera" <raffo@neuronet.pitt.edu> writes:

> I rebooted with the second nfsroot and got a login prompt. However, I
> can't run ldconfig again and I get this error msg.:
>
> parisc:/etc# ldconfig -v
> ldconfig: Can't open configuration file
> /usr1/users/raffo/parisk/palinux/hppa-linux/etc/ld.so.conf: No such file
> or directory

This is no error message, it's warning.

> /usr1/users/raffo/parisk/palinux/hppa-linux/lib:
> ldconfig: Can't open directory
> /usr1/users/raffo/parisk/palinux/hppa-linux/lib: No such file or
> directory

This happens if you build glibc with a prefix and then install it
somewhere else.  This cannot work.

I really don't understand who came up with these "strange" build
instructions.  For Linux builds of glibc where the result is actually
used in the normal place (means in /lib and /usr/lib) you *always*
have to configure with --prefix=/usr.  While installing it one than
can use the install_root make variable.