[parisc-linux] gcc & profiling

Matthew Wilcox matthew@wil.cx
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 12:17:27 +0000

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 10:31:32PM +1100, Alan Modra wrote:
> This is a little embarrassing.  I've just discovered our mainline gcc has
> all the nice profiling code in config/pa/pa.c, PROFILE_HOOK defined in
> config/pa/pa.h, but no support for PROFILE_HOOK in function.c.  Oops.  No
> profiler calls in generated code.
>
> pehc merge from sourceware was before PROFILE_HOOK was added, but I was
> working from a later merge when developing the code. :-(

So we're going to need another gcc merge?

On the subject of `Embarrassing', I've been making an assertion for a
while which I've just discovered is out of date.  gcc supports scheduling
for processors after pa7200.  It now supports -mschedule= 700, 7100,
7100LC, 7200, 8000 and -march= 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0.

So I think I'm going to add config options to the kernel to allow people
to optimise for this, just like x86 does.