[parisc-linux] C100 & Latest CVS Bits

Steven Pritchard steve@silug.org
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 16:46:21 -0600 (CST)

Greg Ingram said:
> On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Grant Grundler wrote:
> > Greg Ingram wrote:
> > > As a side question, is it possible to have the system automatically reboot
> > > after it encounters these errors?
> >
> > It can. There's a global variable someplace that is *disabled* by default.
> > If someone can just remember the global's name...
>
> Anybody?  I have to make that *long* walk through the accounting office
> just to power-cycle the beast.

Does rebooting with sysrq work?  (I've never actually tried it over a
serial console, but I seem to recall that you can send a break, then
"b".)

Actually, will that work, or do you have to turn on sysrq via /proc
after booting?

Oh, wait, it looks like you can pass "panic=1" as a kernel parameter.
That should have the same effect as "echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/panic"
(or adding "kernel.panic = 1" to /etc/sysctl.conf and running "sysctl
-p") on a running system.

Documentation/sysctl/kernel.txt says the following:

    panic:

    The value in this file represents the number of seconds the
    kernel waits before rebooting on a panic. When you use the
    software watchdog, the recommended setting is 60.

The default value is 0, which disables the feature, IIRC.  (This is
from memory, so I could easily be wrong.)

I hope this trip through my faulty memory is helpful...  ;-)

Steve
(618)398-7320             | See web site for meeting details.