[parisc-linux] Serial console settings?

Tom palinux@alaskatech.org
Sun, 30 Dec 2001 13:53:21 -0900 (AKST)

> > Tom writes...
> > Maybe I'm missing somethign here... I set up a serial console on the C180,
> > which works great at 9600. Want to speed it up, so I changed the settings
> > to rs232_1.38400.n.8 (or whatever the exact syntax is - the PDC is happy
> > with it). Power-cycle, reset terminal to 38400 and nothing. Reset terminal
> > to 9600 and there's the screen... Doesn't seem to matter what I set the
> > console speed to in the PDC - it always runs at 9600. Is there some way I
> > have to "push" this, or otherwise save it?
>
> Matt:
> Are you saying that the firmware doesn't display properly or the Linux
> console?
>
> If its the firmware my only advice is to try several different settings and
> see if you can get anything other than 9600 to work. If you can then you
> can try turning it up.
>
> If you're referring to the Linux console, you'll need to edit the serial
> terminal lines(they start with "T") in /etc/inittab and change the speed
> there to match firmware.

Whoops - me bad. Should have been a bit more specific... This is the HP
PDC console settings I'm talking about, not the Linux console. I set it to
serial_1.19200.8.none and it happily stays at 9600. I thought that perhaps
it was auto-detecting the terminal speed and resetting itself, but if I
set it that way, then reset the terminal to 19.2 it won't see any display
until I reset it to 9600...

It's not critical to increase it, but when it's needed 9600 sure is slow
:-)