[parisc-linux] Startup problem X

Grant Grundler grundler@dsl2.external.hp.com
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 08:58:06 -0700

"JOERGENSEN,RUNAR (HP-Norway,ex1)" wrote:
> I'm a bit confused because I though we installed
> the 32bit version. In fact, when we boot we get
> thew following kernel: /boot/vmlinux-2.4.9-32.
> When I do a "file" on /boot/vmlinux-2.4.9-32,
> I get 32bit ELF executable.

Look at /etc/palo.conf and see what vmlinux it points to.
That's the one that's getting loaded/run.
By default you should have gotten a 32-bit kernel.
I doubt the syscall wrapper is the issue.

Newer 2.4.16 kernels are available from ftp.parisc-linux.org/kernels/32.
I suggest grabbing one of those.

> The OS line I presented was picked from what
> "XFree86 -version" reports.

eg. Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.13 i686 [ELF]

"uname -m" will tell you which vmlinux you are running on *now*.
Not which one the XF86 binaries where built on.

> A mismatch in the image itself?

not likely.
Sounds like you have the original, mostly working kernel still.
Just try a newer one.

grant