[parisc-linux] Re: 2.4.16-pa16 (from CVS) fails on "make depend"

Chuck Slivkoff charles_slivkoff@hp.com
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 11:43:22 -0500

The "make distclean" which Grant suggested below seems to have resolved
this.

Thanks Grant!

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [parisc-linux] 2.4.16-pa16 (from CVS) fails on "make
depend"
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 22:38:01 -0700
From: Grant Grundler <grundler@puffin.external.hp.com>
To: Chuck Slivkoff <charles_slivkoff@hp.com>

Chuck Slivkoff wrote:
> I did a CVS update yesterday and tried to build a kernel today, using
> the same .config from my last successful build (2.4.9-pa78).

Chuck,
you went from 2.4.9 to 2.4.16...quite a jump.

> After a "make clean", "make depend" is failing with the error below.
> I've done a "make menuconfig" and things seem to be OK.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?

The other fellow is right, you need to run any variant of make config
(eg make oldconfig or menuconfig) in order to fix up CONFIG_XXX
options which will match the new kernel. Maybe you did that
and just forgot to mention it.

When I get paranoid, I save off the .config, make distclean, restore
the .config, make oldconfig, and continue on with the rest of the
usual steps.

hth,
grant