[parisc-linux] Building from scratch.

Carlos O'Donell Jr. carlos@megatonmonkey.net
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 11:29:00 -0400

> No, you definitely need the diff, you just need a little more than that
> too :-)

I didn't need much more than that... I ignored the errors generated by
the patch (there were no errors on the critical hppa stuff, just some
touches into the ia64 section? Didn't look into it in much detail)

Boy did I fsck in my pants when I forgot that LD_LIBRARY_PATH had the
current directory ... and I cd'd into the glibc build directory :}

> Keeping the diff in the glibc tree up to date, trying to merge it upstream,
> fixing bugs as they arise.

I've never merged upstream, does it hurt? :}

> Let's see:
>
> apt-get source glibc
> cd glibc-2.2.4-1
> vi debian/patches/0list
> 	delete the `#' from the front of glibc22-hppa.
>
> I've fixed some problems with this patch, but it still dies doing the
> install.

Are you using dpkg-buildpackage to build it all?
Not having a debain based system makes it harder to test this...
(I might install all the deb tools and give it a try...)

'make install' worked on my box.

I theoretically have a working glibc 2.2.4-1 created using gcc-latest and
binutils-latest from the parisc ftp-site.

> Really, I don't.  I have no enthusiasm for working on glibc, so I simply
> wait for debian to do new glibc releases and ensure the patch still applies.
> The various bits in the patch need to get merged upstream, but I don't
> enjoy dealing with drepper, so I haven't been working on that either.
>
> If you were to take over maintaining glibc, I'd forgive you :-)

[carlos@systemhalted debian]$ man drepper
No manual entry for drepper
rlos@systemhalted debian]$ apropos ulrich
ulrich: nothing appropriate

Nothing appropriate indeed!
I can't see to find that tool, I'm sure it won't be hard to work with... ;)

I might take over maintaining glibc, but not quite yet...
If you let me get comfortable, possibly introducing me to the methodology
or just letting me shadow what you do... I might just take it from you ;)

Cheers,
Carlos.