[parisc-linux] Building from scratch.

Matthew Wilcox willy@debian.org
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 15:56:19 +0100

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 07:17:43AM -0400, Carlos O'Donell Jr. wrote:
> I have also tried building 2.2.4 without the diff, but with no success.

No, you definitely need the diff, you just need a little more than that
too :-)

> What would be the responsibilities of said maintianer?

Keeping the diff in the glibc tree up to date, trying to merge it upstream,
fixing bugs as they arise.

> The small fact that "uncomment the hppa-specific patch in 0list" means
> little to nothing to me ;) ... is probably an indication that I'm not
> experienced enough to take on glibc.

Let's see:

apt-get source glibc
cd glibc-2.2.4-1
vi debian/patches/0list
	delete the `#' from the front of glibc22-hppa.

I've fixed some problems with this patch, but it still dies doing the
install.

> Seeing as you are the current glibc maintainer, my question would be:
> What type of process do you follow for maintaining glibc?

Really, I don't.  I have no enthusiasm for working on glibc, so I simply
wait for debian to do new glibc releases and ensure the patch still applies.
The various bits in the patch need to get merged upstream, but I don't
enjoy dealing with drepper, so I haven't been working on that either.

> I promise to try and stop doing crazy things like building the toolchain
> by hand ;)

If you were to take over maintaining glibc, I'd forgive you :-)