[parisc-linux] iotree thoughts

Grant Grundler grundler@puffin.external.hp.com
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 23:44:20 -0600

Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 09:06:43AM -0600, Grant Grundler wrote:
> > Yes. AFAIK, LASI sub-devices are listed by PDC. For Dino HPUX makes
> > a special hvers PDC call. Need to look at the HPUX code or Raven PDC ERS.
>
> If you could dig those out for me, that'd be great.  I'm not familiar with
> the layout of the HPUX source tree yet.

That sounds too much like work. ;^)
Raven PDC ERS is available from HP's firmware team website. (internal only).

> > My long term goal is to be able to build a kernel w/o CONFIG_PCI defined.
> > And renaming gsc_init to native_bus_init() sounds like a good idea.
>
> That's a good point.  A good step towards that would be..

I disagree. I want the kernel to NOT link if CONFIG_PCI and
CONFIG_ISA are not enabled when inx/outx functions are used.

> +#else
> +#define inb(a) BUG()
> +#define inw(a) BUG()
> +#define inl(a) BUG()
> +#define outb(a) BUG()
> +#define outw(a) BUG()
> +#define outl(a) BUG()
>  #endif

This will allow the kernel to link and then fail after rebooting.
That seems like a step backwards to me.

grant

Grant Grundler
parisc-linux {PCI|IOMMU|SMP} hacker