[Xpert][parisc-linux] white is blue

Helge Deller deller@gmx.de
Sat, 18 Aug 2001 21:46:46 +0200

> > That's what I though too, but I've tried this on 2 different 712's and
> > have the same behavior.
>
> But I assume you use the same framebuffer device on both? (Note that when I
> say framebuffer device, I refer to the Linux kernel driver)

Both 712 have the same Graphics chip ("Artist") and use the same stifb driver (it's
also the only one which supports HP's build-in graphics atm).

> > What is strange is that the framebuffer can display white text with no
> > problem on the console (the default cursor is white). Also, under X,
> > specifying #fefefe shows up as "almost white".
>
> There are no known problems with the XFree86 fbdev colormap handling, but
> maybe you have found one... :)

This is definitively a bug in the linux kernel stifb driver.
I wrote (migrated) most parts of this stifb driver and it works perfectly without any
color-problems together with the XFree86 fbdev driver here on my 715/64.
The 715/64 has the Artist graphics chip too, so I suspect we just need some more
initialization for the "older revisions" of the Artist chip in the 712 machines.

Greetings,
Helge