[parisc-linux] Users staying up to date.

Matthew Wilcox willy@debian.org
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 04:16:10 +0100

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 09:50:30PM -0400, Carlos O'Donell Jr. wrote:
> In general, I don't want to submit a bugreport and have the
> list say "That's already fixed in the latest updated package" :)

That's fair enough.

> I'm currently running apt-get on one of our nodes, and trying
> to get it to an updated state.
>
> Hrm. apg-get segfaults randomly.

Yes, it does.  Until you've managed to get sully synced up to latest
toolchain/libs/kernel at which point, it magically stops.

> We're running a hand rolled:
> Linux node10 2.4.0 #37 Tue Jul 17 22:33:26 EDT 2001 parisc unknown

OK, you _definitely_ need to update this.  You could pull from CVS or
grab a snapshot tarball, see the webpages on how to do this.

> (Reading database ... 17525 files and directories currently installed.)
> Preparing to replace dpkg 1.8.3 (using .../archives/dpkg_1.9.16_hppa.deb) ...
> Unpacking replacement dpkg ...
> dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/dpkg_1.9.16_hppa.deb (--unpack):
>  trying to overwrite directory `/usr/share/locale/cs' in package texinfo with nondirectory
> dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)

Umm.  That's rather interesting.  an excerpt from dpkg --listfiles dpkg
on paer.debian.org:

/usr/share/locale
/usr/share/locale/cs
/usr/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES
/usr/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/dpkg.mo

I seem to remember someone saying this was a bug in an old version
of dpkg.  So one way around this may be to dpkg --remove texinfo, then
install dpkg, then install texinfo again.