[parisc-linux] 0.9.2 experiences

Helge Deller helge.deller@sap.com
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 10:25:19 +0200

Hi Jurij,

On Wednesday 01 August 2001 10:04, Jurij Smakov wrote:
> Other questions: I am quite new to the list, I have only read the docs
> on parisc-linux.org. I noticed people on the list talking about compiling
> the kernel under parisc-linux - I've thought the only way to compile
> kernel is to use a cross compiler (that's what parisc-linux.org says,
> anyway).

No, you may also compile a new kernel under parisc-linux.
All you need is to apt-get gcc and binutils (search the archive how to set
up apt).

> Also, since it already displays tux logo during boot, it should
> be able to run X, but no Xfree binaries are present on installation CD.
> Can I run X somehow?

Yes you can. After setting up apt do an
apt-get install xserver-xfree86 xfonts xlibs xbase xutils
modify your /etc/XFree86config to use the fbdev driver and it should work.
Maybe you will need to modify some more things which I don't know right now
out of my head, but you may also take a look at the thread
http://lists.parisc-linux.org/pipermail/parisc-linux/2001-July/012972.html
and should ignore all things I mentioned about HIL (since I think you don't
have a HIL keyboard or mouse).

> Cheers,
> Jurij.

Much fun,