[parisc-linux] 0.9.2 experiences

Jurij Smakov jurijus@theophys.kth.se
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 10:04:32 +0200 (CEST)

Hi!

Yesterday I've install 0.9.2 on HP 712/80. It is really impressive.
Starts to feel like debian :-). One small problem however: if You get
to a situation, when the only option is to restart the machine by
pressing the power button (this should not occur, I know :-), then it
turns out, that machine does not react to it! You can turn the power
button into the "off" position - machine still works, like nothing has
happened. Is it possible somehow to cause a graceful shutdown, when the
power is turned off by power button (the way the HP-UX does)?

Other questions: I am quite new to the list, I have only read the docs
on parisc-linux.org. I noticed people on the list talking about compiling
the kernel under parisc-linux - I've thought the only way to compile
kernel is to use a cross compiler (that's what parisc-linux.org says,
anyway). Also, since it already displays tux logo during boot, it should
be able to run X, but no Xfree binaries are present on installation CD.
Can I run X somehow?

I apologize, if these questions are answered somewhere, I would be
grateful if someone would give me the directions.

Cheers,

Jurij.