problems with binutils and/or g++

Alan Modra alan@linuxcare.com.au
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 17:18:12 +1100 (EST)

On 17 Oct 2000, David Huggins-Daines wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is a g++ or linker bug.  The symbol names look
> really suspicious, suggesting that it might be a bug in RTTI (I'll try
> recompiling with -fno-rtti, as I don't think APT uses it).  But on the
> other hand we've had problems with link-once sections in the past.
>
> Any thoughts?

After fixing a zillion bugs of the "friend foo" -> "friend class foo" type
and assorted protected/private/public issues, I finally managed to have apt
compile.  Same error as you found.  It's not a linker bug as it's not a
case of the linker dropping some section; the undefined symbol really
isn't defined anywhere.  I don't know enough C++ to debug the problem
further.

Recompiling with -fno-rtti results in a successful build.

--
Linuxcare.  Support for the Revolution.