[parisc-linux] [Semi OT] SOM Linker

dhazeghi@pacbell.net dhazeghi@pacbell.net
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 18:17:39 -0800

Alex deVries wrote:

> dhazeghi@pacbell.net wrote:
> > However I would like to know what work if any has been done on the SOM
> > linker which HP released to the public last November(?). It seems that
> > as of right now, it has not been touched since February 14, and the FSF
> > binutils snapshots still do not have any SOM support for ld. Has there
> > been any movement in merging this in, or is anybody working on this?
>
> The initial plan was to do our 32-bit userspace with SOM, worrying about
> ELF32 much later in the game.  But ELF32 development happened a lot
> quicker than expected, and so nobody's really done much on the SOM
> linker.

That's what it looked like...

> I suspect it'd be very hard to use the SOM linker code to incorporate it
> into binutils, but I could be wrong.
>
> What are you actually trying to do?

I would like to be able to set up a cross compilation environment for hpux and
32 bit PA-RISC. However without a functional cross linker, this is impossible
to do, and as binutils has not got one yet, I thought perhaps the one that HP
open-sourced might be some use. It would seem logical that with the sources
available, it shouldn't be too difficult to fix the broken bits and get a SOM
linker working in binutils, but that doesn't seem to have happened yet. Oh
well, thanks for the info...

Dara Hazeghi