[parisc-linux] HP 9000 e25

Andrew Shugg andrew@neep.com.au
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 05:48:06 +0800

Matthew Wilcox said:
> On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 03:40:14PM -0800, Christian Knoch wrote:
> > hi.
> > i need information about how to install linux on hp
> > 9000 e25
>
> *sigh*.  This is in the FAQ.  Where do we need to put links to the FAQ
> to persuade people to read it?  Where did you find this mailing list
> address, do we need to put a link to the FAQ there?

I think the fault lies in the "Contact" page, new (!) URL being:

	http://parisc-linux.org/contact.html

"Most questions about the port should be addressed to the developer
mailing list parisc-linux@thepuffingroup.com"

I would suggest this page be changed a bit, like stick the mailing list
down the bottom and change it to a link to the mailing list subscribe
and browse-the-archives page, rather than simply the address of the
list.  Also a comment about reading the FAQ.  Yes, the FAQ is in the
left-hand side-bar but you can never over-do the help.  =)

One of my favourite comments along that line was on the windowmaker.org
home page (sadly it has been removed).  It was something like "Please
bear in mind that asking questions on the mailing list that are answered
in the FAQ is NOT A GOOD IDEA."  <grin>

The FAQ on parisc-linux.org is also missing the all-important Q/A pair:

Q. I have a question that isn't answered in this FAQ?
A. Please subscribe to the [mailing list] and ask.  Politely.  Preferably
   in English, or (failing that) in a recognisable pidgin.  Don't hold back
   on the relevant information either.  "It won't boot" is not good.

Andrew.

--
Andrew Shugg <andrew@neep.com.au>                   http://www.neep.com.au/

"Just remember, Mr Fawlty, there's always someone worse off than yourself."
"Is there?  Well I'd like to meet him.  I could do with a good laugh."