[parisc-linux] HP-UX random number generator?

Barrie Spence baz@calvin.demon.co.uk
Tue, 30 May 2000 17:22:21 +0000 (GMT)

"Peter A. Peterson II" <pedro@flynn.zork.net> wrote:
> Quoting Andrew Shugg:
> > You might like to consider using OpenSSH if you don't have any joy with ssh.
> >
> > OpenSSH can be compiled[1] without a /dev/*random device by using egd[2], the
> > Entropy Gathering Daemon.  OpenSSH also requires installation of zlib and
> > openssl though (which is just a bit more effort, but oh well).  I've not used
> > egd so can't comment on it, but it's probably worth a go.
>
> I was incorrectly specific. I installed openssh, zlib, and ssleay
> already, and in the configure process for openssh it crapped out
> looking for /dev/urandom and/or egd. I think i'll look into egd.

AFIAK, the more recent versions of openssh aren't supposed to need
/dev/urandom (or egd) when used with openssl-0.9.5.

Barrie

--
Barrie Spence			Sanity Clause? There is no Sanity Clause
Home: b.spence@ieee.org		Telephone +44 1506 442304