[parisc-linux] New binutils available from cvs

Alan Modra alan@linuxcare.com.au
Thu, 18 May 2000 20:37:20 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 18 May 2000, Philipp Rumpf wrote:

> On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 12:41:13PM +1000, Alan Modra wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >    I have just uploaded a new binutils to puffin.external.hp.com cvs.  The
> > new binutils, which you can get with "cvs co binutils-2.10", is a merge of
>
> Any reason for renaming cvs modules all the time instead of staying with
> one name and perhaps not pissing off people with slow, expensive
> connections ?

Mainly so people can still easily use the old binutils.  .diff.gz came to
1.8M anyway.  I can put the diff somewhere you can get it, if you like.

> > ***BIG WARNING**
> >   This binutils goes back to using the standard hppa comment char and line
> > separator char.  Existing puffin parisc code needs to be modified to suit,
>
> This
>  a) makes certain glbic code harder to work (which already does work, at
>     that)

Can you explain this?

>  b) is inconsistent with every single other architecture that does run
>     Linux
>  c) is inconsistent with my tree, and basically forces me to distribute
>     binutils and gcc patches in addition to the gcc one-liner I already
>     have.
>
> All in all this strikes me as not too smart.

Using `!' for comments
a) breaks fp condition codes.
b) is inconsistent with existing hp assembler.

All in all .... :-)

Item a) is the killer.  It might be possible to work around this problem
and make `!' start a comment only when the preceding non-whitespace
character is not a comma, but this sort of horrible hack hasn't much hope
of ever being accepted back into FSF binutils.

> BTW, did you fix gcc to work with -mdisable-fpregs and actually make the
> kernel use that in the CVS tree ?  It caused a lot of oopses here before
> I worked around it (patch is at
> ftp://linux-parisc.sourceforge.net/pub/linux-parisc/) (why we got oopses
> and what is wrong should be quite obvious if you know RTL - I don't and
> it seems reasonably obvious to me, I just can't fix it).

No, I haven't done anything with gcc

--
Linuxcare.  Support for the Revolution.