[parisc-linux] New binutils available from cvs

Philipp Rumpf prumpf@puffin.external.hp.com
Thu, 18 May 2000 03:45:36 -0600

On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 12:41:13PM +1000, Alan Modra wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>    I have just uploaded a new binutils to puffin.external.hp.com cvs.  The
> new binutils, which you can get with "cvs co binutils-2.10", is a merge of

Any reason for renaming cvs modules all the time instead of staying with
one name and perhaps not pissing off people with slow, expensive
connections ?

> ***BIG WARNING**
>   This binutils goes back to using the standard hppa comment char and line
> separator char.  Existing puffin parisc code needs to be modified to suit,

This
 a) makes certain glbic code harder to work (which already does work, at
    that)
 b) is inconsistent with every single other architecture that does run
    Linux
 c) is inconsistent with my tree, and basically forces me to distribute
    binutils and gcc patches in addition to the gcc one-liner I already
    have.

All in all this strikes me as not too smart.

BTW, did you fix gcc to work with -mdisable-fpregs and actually make the
kernel use that in the CVS tree ?  It caused a lot of oopses here before
I worked around it (patch is at
ftp://linux-parisc.sourceforge.net/pub/linux-parisc/) (why we got oopses
and what is wrong should be quite obvious if you know RTL - I don't and
it seems reasonably obvious to me, I just can't fix it).

	Philipp Rumpf