[parisc-linux] linux-2.3/palo switched to ELF binary

Grant Grundler grundler@cup.hp.com
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 10:52:33 -0800 (PST)

Hi folks,
Yesterday, after several days of testing, it was decided to switch
the kernel over to the ELF tool chain.  Mike Ang merged the changes
from the ELF_BRANCH onto the main line branch.  This switch is
necessary to:
o enable work on PA2.0 (64-bit) kernel support
o avoid SOM specific kluges in kernel initialization path

Willy updated the "How to Build a Kernel" a few days ago but
it doesn't include any info for palo (eg cvs -z3 co palo).
(Paul - can you fix that?)

I'm told only "make palo" works right now and "make Image" does not.
Interested parties are welcome to fix "make Image".

Is the ELF "hppa1.1" tool chain available as swdepot or tarball?
It would make life alot easier for folks like myself who aren't
very good tool chain hackers but could contribute in other ways.
(I already have ELF tool binaries - thanks to paul)

thanks,
grant