[parisc-linux] __asm__

willy@thepuffingroup.com willy@thepuffingroup.com
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 09:07:01 -0500

Grant was asking where to find documentation on __asm__, and I think
this is useful to enough people that it's worth posting here.

__asm__ is a gcc extension.  It allows you to write inline assembler in
your C source file rather than forcing you to write a separate function
in a .S file and call it.  The original documnetation can be found by
typing `info gcc' (make sure you have the gcc info files installed
or you'll just get the manpage).  Follow the menus: `C Extensions',
``Extended Asm'.  I find the documentation pretty obscure, and I have
to think very carefully every time I write an __asm__ statement.