[parisc-linux] Value of an old K-class server?

willy@thepuffingroup.com willy@thepuffingroup.com
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 19:17:12 -0500

On Wed, Mar 01, 2000 at 07:48:49AM +0800, Andrew Shugg wrote:
> I'm a bit confused by this.  I thought the HP 375 was a PA-RISC thingy.
> Certainly there have been numerous people on this list talking about getting
> their 315's or whatever to boot the parisc-linux kernel.

Do you perhaps mean the 735 and 715?

> Had me a look at the HW database, and it says the 375 carries a 'PA7000'
> processor.  (As a side note, the link for this in the database,
> "http://216.208.98.4/view.php3?type=cpu&name=PA7000 (PCX-S)", made my proxy
> server unhappy.  Dropping the " (PCX-S)" off the end of it helped.)

This is a bug which we fixed earlier this afternoon (that should have
been `%20' instead of the space character).  There are still pending
changes to the hw database that will make it closer to being correct.
At least the PA8000/8200/8500 chips should be correct (there may be
omissions, but there should not be incorrect chips in those categories).

> Is a PA7000 not a PA-RISC chip?

Yes, it is.  To complicate matters, there are PA7000 CPUs which implement
the PA1.0 architecture (PCX) and PA7000 CPUs which implement the PA1.1
architecture (PCX-S).  The intention is to support the latter and not
the former.

> Showing my ignorance,

Less than a year ago, I didn't know the difference between a PA1.0 and
PA1.1 machine :-)