[parisc-linux] PIC code generation in gcc/binutils

Matthew Wilcox matthew@wil.cx
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 10:36:23 -0400

On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 11:12:28AM +1000, Alan Modra wrote:
> On parisc, doesn't a single space id limit your address space to 1G?

that was what I thought too, but it turns out that the quarter of the
space which is addressed is the same as the top 2 bits of the data
register.  ie, if we were using 4 distinct spaces, we would see the
following usage pattern:

xx......
..xx....
....xx..
......xx

so using just one space register for the entire process doesn't affect us
at all.

http://devresource.hp.com/devresource/Docs/Refs/PA1_1/acd-17.html

is an authoritive source for this information:

"Only one fourth of the space is directly addressable by the base register
with short pointers and corresponds to the quadrant selected by the
upper two bits."