[parisc-linux] PIC code generation in gcc/binutils

Alan Modra alan@linuxcare.com.au
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 11:12:28 +1000 (EST)

On 24 Jul 2000, David Huggins-Daines wrote:

> Cary Coutant <cary@cup.hp.com> writes:
>
> > The model used for PA-RISC is a a consequence of the segmented
> > architecture, where the text and data segments are not adjacent.
>
> For what it's worth our ELF32 runtime conventions do not use
> segmentation at all.  That is, in user space, %sr0 and %sr4 through
> %sr7 are all set to the same space identifier.

Hmm, I haven't been making this assumption in the elf32-hppa binutils
shared lib support.  If userland uses the same space id, then import
stubs can be simplified quite a bit, and there's no need for export stubs.

> This is in keeping with accepted practice on other 32-bit Linux
> platforms where segmentation is used only to provide separate 4G
> address spaces for the kernel and userland.

On parisc, doesn't a single space id limit your address space to 1G?

Alan Modra
--
Linuxcare.  Support for the Revolution.