[parisc-linux] untested but building 64-bit toolchain, issues/questions

Jeffrey A Law law@cygnus.com
Thu, 06 Jul 2000 12:16:17 -0600

  In message <874s63p218.fsf@linuxcare.com>you write:
  > Urgh.  Understood.  This means that the gcc tree on
  > puffin.external.hp.com CVS is quite out of date, which is sort of what
  > I expected.  I'm looking at the possibility of merging it now.
Certainly possible.  Especially if you get a tree from the releases Cygnus
made to HP.  Lots has changed since then.

  > I know Matthew Wilcox has been pushing for using 'parisc-*-linux-gnu'
  > and 'parisc64-*-linux-gnu' as the arch strings for 32 and 64 bit
  > targets, and standardising on a 'linux' dialect of assembly language
  > for both (basically 2.0 mnemonics).  What would the chances of this
  > being accepted by the binutils/gcc/autoconf maintainers be?  (should I
  > be asking this on another list? sorry...)
  >
  > We need to standardise on these things ASAP, since we are starting to
  > build userspace, and we will be stuck with them very soon.
I would strongly recommend hppax.y[w] and hppa64 since the GNU tools already
know about those names.  Otherwise you're going to spend a lot of time
unnecessarily hacking up configure scripts.

I believe there's a list (config@gnu.org)?  Where this kind of stuff is
usually discussed.
jeff