[parisc-linux] untested but building 64-bit toolchain, issues/questions

Jeffrey A Law law@cygnus.com
Thu, 06 Jul 2000 11:01:15 -0600

  In message <87puorl517.fsf@linuxcare.com>you write:
  > Yes, but I thought that 'hppa2.0w' means 64 bit by definition, so it
  > strikes me that the problem is with config.guess returning this.
Yes/No.  It would have been more convenient in some ways if it didn't do
that -- however it has also been argued that not returning the "w" loses
information.  ie, when the "w" is included we have a system that is
capable of running 64bit binaries -- not all hppa2.0 systems can run
64bit binaries.

  > > This was discussed on the gcc, gdb, binutils, and autoconf development
  > > lists.
  >
  > Can you provide a subject: line to search on or a URL?
I don't remember offhand.

  > I can't find
  > any definitive statements on the semantics of config.guess nor the
  > proper configuration for 64-bit PA-RISC in the archives.
They're there :-)

  > > I'm not aware of a technical reason why this will not work in the assembl
  > er;
  > > there are *major* problems trying to make this work with the compiler.  F
  > eel
  >
  > Yes, I'm aware of that :) I was hoping to follow the Sparc model where
  > the compiler is configured to pass the appropriate flags to the
  > assembler.
The biggest problems you're going to run into are radically different ABIs
in the 32bit and 64bit worlds -- things like arguments growing in different
directions.

jeff