[parisc-linux] HP 715/33

Matthew Wilcox willy@thepuffingroup.com
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 11:17:37 -0500

On Tue, Jan 18, 2000 at 10:09:45AM +0100, Nils Strxm wrote:
> Picked up a 715/33 yesterday; it seems to be unsupported by MkLinux:(
> Is this due to a problem with the architecture (that cannot be overcome)
> or is it something that just needs special care to work ?

From what I glean from the mklinux pages they just don't know why it
doesn't work.  I started in all this with a 715/33 which i rescued from
use as a monitor stand, and I can tell you that it definitely worked
as well as any other HP model with ordinary Linux.

> Also, can anyone give me some hints where to get more information
> about this specific model. (Web pages, or can I find info in the
> parisc mail archive?) Specifically, I need info about the RAM
> configuration, (SIM-pairs or singles, which types is possible, which
> sizes etc). Links to MkLinux info (on this model and in general) is also
> appreciated.

You definitely need pairs.  The Hardware Compatibility List says `HP
workstation RAM SIMMs and DIMMs are not generally identical to those
used in POCs.  Non-HP RAM is not officially supported.' but this is
probably just to scare you.  HP sold kits of 2x4, 2x8, 2x16 and 2x32
MB SIMMs.  If you look on Kingston's website, you can probably find out
more information.

You can find more information at http://www.thepuffingroup.com/parisc/