[parisc-linux] Trouble to generate vmlinux

Grant Grundler grundler@cup.hp.com
Tue, 04 Jan 2000 12:44:22 -0800

"John David Anglin" wrote:
> It looks as if you are trying to do a cross-compile which is not supported.
> Currently, you must build with gcc and HP's ld under hpux 10.20 (or possibly,
> 9.X).

The cross-compile works (or worked). That's my default setup.
I change linux/Makefile with:
	CROSS_COMPILE = parisc-linux-

o only gcc can be used to build kernels.
o "cc" is still needed to generate utilities which run under HP-UX
  (that's HOSTCC in the Makefiles)

"ld" is the exception still because of SOM support.
But I don't think that's Thierry's problem since the linker
isn't complaining about the object file type...

Which makes me wonder: theirry, what *is* the object file type?
It has to be HP's SOM format. I think the recipe for building
tools includes the changes to do that.

grant

Grant Grundler
Unix Developement Lab