[parisc-linux] nfsroot howto

Grant Grundler grundler@cup.hp.com
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 18:49:27 -0800 (PST)

Thierry SIMONNET (t.simonnet@esiee.fr) wrote:
| I have a 712/60 Workstation as NFS server and a 712/80 as parisc-linux box.
| I have some trouble with nfsroot :bootp and tftp process works but
| IP-Config says : IP-Config : No Network device available.

Thierry,
I think the problem is you are using HP-UX. :^)
No, really.

I'm pretty sure HP-UX "mknod" creates the special devices *differently*
than parisc-linux wants to interpret them.
HP-UX dev_t is 8 bits Major and 24 bits Minor.
Linux dev_t is 8 bits Major and  8 bits Minor. (according to willy)

Give HP-UX mknod "cooked" parameters in order to create the
special device file linux can use. I might not have cooked
them correctly below....I haven't tried it out yet.

Please try:
o cd /tftpboot/<host>/dev
o rm -f *
o sh mknod.hpux  # appended below