[parisc-linux] some stats

willy@thepuffingroup.com willy@thepuffingroup.com
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 19:00:38 -0500

Someone may find this interesting.  I just did a
`diff -ur linux-2.3.42 cvs/linux-2.3' to find out how much of the mainline
kernel tree we've changed.  After judicious trimming of changes we
haven't actually made (CVS artifacts, etc), the diff is 5367 lines long.
There are basically five categories of changes:

 * Extra debug code that we won't merge in with Linus
 * The page colouring code.
 * Workarounds for compiling as SOM, not ELF.
 * Build system changes.
 * Driver changes.  Some for IO coherency, some for `and parisc too'.

The page colouring code is probably the only thing which will prevent us
merging into Linux 2.4.x.  Page colouring seems to be on the agenda for
Linux 2.5, and nothing stops us from producing our own kernel `based on
Linux 2.4', just like Red Hat.  Of course, we ought to get a little more
developed before we try to merge :-)