[parisc-linux] init_task.c dependency problem

John Marvin jsm@udlkern.fc.hp.com
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 06:02:19 -0700 (MST)

With my most recent commit's, I made a change in a header file that
arch/parisc/kernel/init_task.c depends on. However, due to the makefile
games used to build this file (to properly align the task structure),
the dependencies for init_task.c are not honored (the .depend file
lists dependencies for init_task.o, but we build init_task0.o and
init_task1.o instead).

What this means is that init_task.c will not be rebuilt if you
just cvs update your build area. In that case, the kernel will
halt immediately after the "execve /sbin/init ...." message (i.e.
it will print halted and then print a register dump). If you
are building from a new area, or you make clean, you will not
have this problem. A simple workaround (if you don't want to do
a make clean) is to "touch arch/parisc/kernel/init_task.c" so that
it will be rebuilt. You could also just remove init_task0.o and
init_task1.o to force the rebuild.

Yesterday's commits allowed fork() from userland to work. Today's
commits allow exec() from userland to work.

John Marvin
jsm@fc.hp.com